Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Joseph 'Joe' Haughey, was either Very Lucky or a Protected Species

Joseph 'Joe' Haughey, was either Very Lucky or a Protected Species

In November 1981 I was arrested by The RUC and charged with endangering the lives of three RUC Officers and a civilian. I was remanded to Crumlin Road Jail in Belfast. When you enter Crumlin Road Jail the Governor asks if you wish to be housed with The PIRA, Loyalist terrorists or if you wish to enter an ordinary criminal wing. I said I was able to go on The PIRA Wing. I was remanded onto A2, this was the middle landing on A Wing that had three floors.
This Authors Prison Number 3327
I initially shared a cell with Tommy Prendergast and Francis Murphy, two Belfast PIRA men. On my first visit to the yard I was approached by The PIRA Intelligence Officer (IO), of The Command Staff, Joseph ‘Joe’ Haughey or as we all knew him ‘Big Joe’ as he was a stout man. I told Joe the story of my arrest and he told me that he wanted me on the Escape Committee. Before my arrest in 1981 I had meet with Michael ‘Pete’ Ryan who had escaped from Crumlin Road Jail in June 1981.
Joseph 'Joe' Haughey who murdered Mary Travers
For, Joe Haughey, to be on The Command Staff of The PIRA in Crumlin Road Jail meant that he was a significant PIRA player on the outside, however, when a PIRA member is imprisoned they lose their outside rank, this can on occasion be replicated in prison, as it was in the case of Joe Haughey.

Other Top Stories








I got on well with Big Joe and I found him to be an engaging person, however, unlike others in Crumlin Road Jail, Joe never gave the impression that he was expecting to do big time. Joe had been charged with hijacking a car used in the M60 Machinegun killing of the Deputy Governor of Crumlin Road Prison, Mr Edward Jones, who was murdered in 1979.

Joseph ‘Joe’ Haughey would receive a suspended sentence for what was a significant role in the high-profile murder of Mr Jones. Compare this sentence to the Life sentence handed down to Mary McArdle, for her accomplice role in the murder of Mary Travers in 1984.
Deputy Governor of Crumlin Road Prison, Mr Edward Jones, who was murdered in 1979
Soon after I was remanded in Crumlin Road Jail I was released on bail as the sitting Judge viewed me as a child and felt it was not appropriate for me to be in an adult prison. The RUC objected to bail, stating that I was heavily involved with The PIRA. I returned to the ranks of Sinn Fein/PIRA, when I was released on bail and I was On-The-Run (OTR) until 1984 when I was returned to Crumlin Road Jail on remand for the same offence as 1981.

When I entered The Republican A Wing in Crumlin Road Jail in 1984, I was immediately greeted by Joe Haughey who was now on remand for the murder of Mary Travers and the attempted murder of her Father, Magistrate Tom Travers. Joe now held the position of Chief of Staff of The PIRA on A Wing. I was quickly recruited by Joe for the Escape Committee and I had a role in planning what was expected to be a significant escape. That escape was compromised when Prison Officer uniforms were found in a carefully constructed hide.

My role on the Escape Committee meant meeting with and talking to Joe every-time we went to the yard for exercise. Joe and I got on exceptionally well, I was a good deal younger than Joe and I think he seen himself as my mentor. Joe was always in good form, but he showed a great deal of regret not only about the death of Mary Travers, but also about Mary McArdle, the young woman who would be sentenced to life for helping Joe and his accomplice to attack the Travers family as they left Mass.
While Solicitor, Pat Finucane, was not my Solicitor, he would request visits with me, as he was the Interlocutor between The PIRA Command Staff in Crumlin Road Jail, and The PIRA Command Staff in Belfast.
Mary Travers murdered in cold blood
Joe had no problem telling me that he was the Commanding Officer who led the attack on the Travers family, Joe told me that Gerry Adams was his Commanding Officer and Gerry had personally sanctioned the attack on Tom Travers. I told Joe that I had meet Gerry Adams at a PIRA meeting in Monaghan earlier in 1984.

While Joe was a very personable individual, he sometimes said things that did not add up. For example, in 1981 there had been an RUC informer in with us in A Wing, the informer had told Joe that he had not spoken to the RUC, however, during the informer’s trial it became clear that he had talked and named people. When you entered Crumlin Road jail you had to tell The PIRA Intelligence Officer if you had talked to The RUC or not, if you had talked there was no problem, word would be sent out to The PIRA so they could move weapons or personnel or whatever else had been compromised. If you did not tell The IO the truth, that was a problem.

When I spoke to Joe about this, 1981 informer, in 1984, Joe had a very exaggerated view of how he would deal with the informer if he ever got a chance to go to Monaghan. Joe said he would kick in the door of the informer’s pub and shoot him with an AK47. I thought this a strange description, when there were Supergrasses, Bowe Scally and so forth, who had now retracted their statements walking around A Wing, it was just one of those things that stuck with me.

In the intervening years there have been suggestions that Joe Haughey was in fact a British Agent, and that remains possible, when we consider that one of his closest PIRA associates was Frederico "Freddie" Scappaticci, a long serving British Agent who had murdered many innocent people. The Belfast Brigade of The PIRA was, from a Republican perspective, “Rotten” from the top to the bottom, not simply because it was overflowing with informers, but because of its incessant criminality, Gerry Adams Snr, Liam Adams, Seamus Marley, Marty Morris, and so forth.

Joseph 'Joe' Haughey, was either Very Lucky or a Protected Species, from Carrick Hill, the 66-year-old was first convicted in November 1981 for hijacking a car used in the M60 Machinegun murder of the Deputy Governor of Crumlin Road Prison, for which he received a suspended sentence, this at a time when kids were getting two years jail-time for throwing petrol bombs.

In 1986 Joseph ‘Joe’ Haughey was acquitted of the murder of Mary Travers and the attempted murder of her Father Magistrate Tom Travers, yet Joe openly admitted to myself and others that he was the Commanding Officer on that operation and that Gerry Adams was his Commanding Officer.

Gerry Adams had been shot and wounded in March of 1984; however, his injuries were and continue to be heavily exaggerated. One of the loyalist gunmen John Gregg who had shot and wounded Gerry Adams was in Crumlin Road Jail in 1984. John Gregg was in a holding cell with me as we were being moved across to the Court House which was accessed by means of a tunnel that went under The Crumlin Road.
Graffiti that appeared on the walls in Dundalk after Gerry Adams admitted that he knew for 10 years that his brother Liam had raped his four-year-old daughter Aine.

At this time in 1984 PIRA prisoners were seeking segregation from Loyalists who shared the landings in A Wing, but were generally kept apart by being out of our cells at different times. We had been told by The PIRA Command Staff to engage in fist fights with loyalists if we were placed in holding cells with them. I done as I had been ordered and I engaged in a fist fight with John Gregg, however, The Prison Officers broke it up fairly quick. Gregg then told me that when he fired his weapon at Gerry Adams there was no kick of the gun. Gregg believed that the weapons used by his loyalist hit team had been compromised by a UDA informer working for The RUC.

When I returned from my Court appearance I reported to Joe Haughey about my encounter with John Gregg. Joe Haughey then explained to me that there was a Top-man Agreement in place, between, The PIRA, UDA and UVF, this agreement meant that people such as Adams would not be attacked by loyalists and visa vis. The attack on Adams was a breach of the PIRA and Loyalist Agreement. John McMichael was later sold out by his own people for sanctioning the attack on Adams.

Bizarre as it may sound, there were regular meetings between the leaders of loyalist terror groups and the leaders of Sinn Fein/PIRA in Belfast, these meetings were normally related to protection rackets, to ensure that Sinn Fein/PIRA and loyalist terrorists did not step onto each other’s turf at interface areas in the city.

Within 5 days of being shot in 1984 Adams held a press conference and quickly returned to his position on The Brigade Staff of The PIRA in Belfast, where he immediately sanctioned a number of operations including the plan to kill Magistrate Tom Travers. I meet Gerry Adams at a PIRA meeting in Dublin Street, Monaghan Town in the summer of 1984. The PIRA Chief of Staff, Kevin McKenna was On-The-Run and living in Monaghan.

Prison Life in the 1980s:

Prison Life in the 1980s: Crumlin Road Jail was a strange place. It was a Victorian Prison that is now a visitors and conferencing centre. In the 1980s Crumlin Road Jail was used to house Sinn Fein/PIRA Prisoners, UVF/UDA prisoners and ‘ordinary criminals’.

The cells in the 1980s were as basic as the day the prison opened in 1846, there were bunk or single iron beds with a metal spring base on which there was a thin foam mattress and each prisoner had a horse-hair blanket and pillow. There was one plastic chamber pot per-prisoner sharing a cell and each morning during ‘slop-out’ prisoners would empty and wash their chamber pots in the slush room.

In the slush room there were some cubicles where prisoners could use an actual toilet bowl when ‘slopping out’.

Prisoners also had a large plastic mug, a plastic plate and plastic cutlery. Prisoners could also get access to small transistor radios.

I was held on A Wing, A Wing held both Sinn Fein/PIRA and UDA/UVF prisoners. Prisoners were let out of their cells at different times. For example, when UVF/UDA prisoners were using the shower room, Sinn Fein/PIRA prisoners would be ‘slopping-out’. I was always used the showers when opportunity presented.

On one occasion, I was washing at the sink in the shower room waiting on a shower to become available when I noticed that the prisoner using the sink beside me had a UVF tattoo on his arm, we both realised at the same time that I was in the wrong place, he simply said, quietly, your in the wrong place. I walked slowly to the cage type door and told the prison officer that I was ready to go.

Joe Haughey, PIRA Belfast, Mary Travers Murder, Tom Travers

Murder of Sophie Tuscan Du Plantier by Vincent McKenna

Murder of Sophie Tuscan Du Plantier by Vincent McKenna Introduction and Key Events On the 23 December, 1996, when 39-year-old French wom...